From the early Stone Age…
Although Podgora is mentioned in Venetian documents as of 1571 AD, there exist traces of human activity there from the early Stone Age — Cardium Pottery has been found on the slopes of Biokovo.
Here are some other facts to pique your interest:
- prehistoric barrows – Three barrows near the “Galebova krila” statue, Marko’s barrows at Strupina, and barrows on Supin hill (a rare phenomenon typical of Dalmatia)
- the remains of the ancient gravestone of a married couple – stella
- findings of Roman ceramics and money – Bristica and other locations
- numerous amphorae that bear witness to shipping traffic in ancient times
- the remnants of a tower from the Turkish period in Srida sela
- gravestones (14th and 15th century) with inscribed swords and shields at the Sutikla graveyard
- copper coins with the inscription DALMA ET ALBA printed by Venice in the 17th and 18th centuries
More than ten churches and a number of votive chapels bear witness to the tradition of the Christian faith and religious traditions. The 17th century Church of St. Tekla was destroyed in an earthquake in 1962 and renovated in the late 20th century. At the graveyard of the same name, a number of Mediaeval graves have been found. In Selo, you will find the Baroque All Saints Church, with its 1764 bell tower, which was the spiritual centre of Podgora until 1962. It is well known for its altar of St. Vincenzo, patron saint of the municipality of Podgora, whose day is celebrated in August on the first Sunday after Assumption.
Below the mountain
Podgora’s name hails from its position – pod gorom literally means below the mountain. Since time immemorial, Biokovo has protected the town placed on its foothills from both enemies and northern weather alike. A large earthquake in 1962 began a new chapter in the life of Podgora. Its residents from Selo then moved to Kraj, as the upper and lower parts of Podgora are referred to locally today. They built new houses in Kraj and devoted themselves completely to the sea and tourism.
With the sea
Since the times of ancient ships, Podgora has been devoted to the sea. Fishing was once the foundation of the economy, and it fed generations of citizens of Podgora. Modern Podgora has developed around a small harbour. In 1942, the Yugoslav Navy was founded in Podgora. A monumental statue from World War II, “Galebova krila” (The Seagull’s Wings), dominates the view of Podgora as a reminder of victory over fascism on the Adriatic Sea and all of the young people who lost their lives defending freedom and their homes.